How to register and appear for ICAI CA Intermediate
Urgent Notice: As of January, 2019, ICAI is performing a maintenance on its Information System portal. So, the information contained within this post may have to be updated to reflect the changes made. We will update this post with the necessary modifications as soon as more information becomes available.
The exam is conducted twice yearly: once in May and the other in November.
There are two routes to take up the examination:
- The CA Foundation Route: Here you go through the entry level exam CA Foundation
- The direct entry route: Students who’ve met certain requirements can directly appear for the CA intermediate exam
Now, we assume that you know all about these routes. But note that those who opt for direct entry have to register for both the groups of papers. To reiterate, if you follow this route, you can appear for a group at a time, but at the time of registration, you’ll have to register for both.
Now, let’s look at the registration procedure in detail.
How to register for the CA Intermediate exam
Go to icai.org. Under the students’ tab, click on course registration forms.
Fig (1): How to register for CA Intermediate: Course Registration Form
In the course registration form page, click on “Intermediate Course through Foundation/CPT/Direct Entry”
You’ll be directed to a portal page.
If you are coming into this via direct entry, chances are that you are a new user. If so, click on the new user registration button. And follow the instructions for registration.
If you are an old user (generally coming in from CA Foundation), enter the same user name as before.
Once you fill out the online form, you should do the following:
- Pay the fees online using the payment gateway
- Print out the form generated after payment is received
Within 7 days of the date of online registration, submit the following documents to the nearest regional office
- Signed printout of the online successful registration form
- Foundation route students should submit an attested copy of mark sheet of the class 12th examination (or its equivalent)
- Direct entry route students should submit an attested copy of
- graduation/post-graduation marksheets if they opt in to direct entry via this route, or
- mark statements/marksheets of CS Executive/CMA Intermediate exams if they opt in to direct entry via this route
- One recent colour photograph (attached to the printout of the online successful registration form)
- Attested copy of proof of nationality if you are a foreigner
- Attested copy of proof of special category certificate (SC/ST, OBC, Differently abled, etc.)
The attestation can be done by a CA, gazetted officer or the head of your educational institute.
Note that the reason why you need to submit a proof of special category certificate is because ICAI provides scholarships and fee waivers to such categories.
As we said earlier, you’ll need to submit all this to the nearest regional office. Here’s a list of them:
Once you complete this registration process, ICAI provides you with study material. Collect them from the office or get it through mail.
If you are awaiting your results from graduation, you can register on a provisional basis. But if you do not meet the prescribed percentage criteria, your registration will be cancelled. And your fees will not be refundable. So only provisionally register if you are sure of getting the marks needed. Your registration will be regularised only after you submit satisfactory proof of passing your graduation exam with the necessary percentage. You’ll have to submit such proof within six months of the date of appearance for the final year graduation exam. While you are awaiting results, take up ICITSS.
Validity of Registration
Your registration will be valid for four years. It can also be renewed if you pay revalidation fees of Rs. 400.
Registration for Articleship
If you opt for the direct entry route via graduation/post-graduation, you’ll have to register for, and undergo 9 months of articleship before appearing for the CA Intermediate exam. You can find out the details of how to register for articleship here.
As we said earlier, if you opt to take CA Intermediate via direct entry, you must register for both groups of papers.
Here are the registration fees:
For direct entry students, you’ll have to pay additional fees of Rs. 200 (US $20 for international students) to get the prospectus.
Once you register for the exam, you should check your registration status.
First, you must go to the ICAI website.
Then, on the upper right corner, click on E-services.
You’ll get directed to a page where you will find the reprint letter. Click on that and fill in the required details. This will generate a letter showing your registration status. It will take up to 40 days to get updated. Even after 40 days, if there’s no update, contact your concerned regional office.
You’ll then need to obtain an admit card from the ICAI website. It’s not going to be sent physically to your address. You’ll have to download it from the website itself. You’ll get it by logging in to your account.
The ICAI issues the admit card about 21 days before the examination date. So, don’t get too alarmed if you don’t see where to download the admit card immediately.
The admit card contains the following details:
- Your name
- Registration number
- Roll number
- Examination centre
- Exam timetable
You can download your admit card up to 3 times from the portal. Get the printout to enter the examination hall.
Exam Admittance Policy
You will be admitted to the exam only if
- you have enrolled for the relevant level(s) of the Intermediate Course;
- you have a certificate saying that you’ve undergone a study course for a period of not less than 8 months as on the first day of the month in which the exam is held;
- you have a certificate saying that you’ve completed 9 months of articleship on or before the last day of the month in which the exam is held if, you opted for the direct entry route via graduation/post-graduation;
- you have paid the necessary exam fees; and
- you have a print out of the admit card on your person.
That’s the entire procedure in a nutshell.
Streamlined and simple.
Do you have any further questions about this procedure? Let us know in the comment section below. And if you need help in cracking CA Intermediate, sign up for our video lectures today.