All about AICITSS: Eligibility, Registration and Syllabus Details
by Bharat, on 23 Jan, 2019 10:06:08 AM
In this modern age, you’ll need have some familiarity with Information Technology regardless of your plans. Not only that, you’ll need to interact with a lot of people, and as such you’ll have to develop soft skills.
That’s why ICAI has introduced two courses:
- Integrated Course on Information Technology and Soft Skills (ICITSS)
- Advanced Integrated Course of Information Technology and Soft Skills (AICITSS)
You’ll need to complete both during your Chartered Accountancy Course.
In this post, we’ll talk about AICITSS. (Here's information about ICITSS if you so wish.) The course contents, eligibility requirements, the process of registration and the syllabus breakdown. We’ll also talk about an optional residential course known as “Four Weeks’ Residential Programme on Professional Skills Development”.
SO, What is AICITSS?
What’s on this page:
Advanced Integrated Course on Information Technology and Soft Skills (AICITSS): Introduction
This is a course that combines both information technology and soft skills. The course lasts for approximately four weeks. You’ll have to complete AICITSS during the last two years of your practical training but before appearing for the CA Final.
There are two courses in AICITSS:
- Course on Advanced Information Technology
- Management & Communication Skills Course (MCS)
You’ll have to register separately for each course.
You’ll have to register via an online portal. The enrolment of students is on a “First come, first serve basis.”
These are the steps to register:
- Login at any of the two online portals:
- Register in a particular batch launched by the Programme Organising Unit (POU)
- Make the necessary payment using either a credit or debit card
- After registration, take a print out of the acknowledgement slip
- Submit the slip along with other documents mentioned in it to the concerned POU at least two days before commencement of the batch
- After verification, the concerned POU will confirm registration
You do have an option to transfer your batch if needed. Once you’ve passed the courses, you can get the completion certificate online.
AICTSS Training Centres
There are many training centres across the country. There’s even one in Dubai. Choose from this list of training centres. Choose one that’s nearest to you, of course!
Courses of AICITSS
As mentioned, there are two courses in AICITSS. And you’ll have to register for both courses.
To recap, the courses are:
- Course on Advanced Information Technology
- Management and Communication Skills Course (MCS)
The titles of each course are suggestive of the content. But, let’s take a deeper look at what each course is about. And the requirements to pass.
Overall View of the Course on Advanced Information Technology
The objective of this course is
- To develop practical skills to understand the intricacies of auditing in ERP environments using IT.
- To understand the importance of IT General Controls (ITGCs) and its impact on assessment of ERP controls, assessment of application controls and access rights.
- To provide training focused on application software relevant for the work of a professional accountant including using Auditing in ERP Environment, Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), MS Excel as Audit Tool and advanced features of Electronic Spreadsheet, DBMS etc.
The course contains of classes. These are scheduled for a minimum of 6 hours per day for 15 working days.
The fee is Rs. 7500 per student. It’s inclusive of refreshments and course materials.
Let’s go over the syllabus.
Course on Advanced Information Technology: Syllabus
Here are the topics of the course, along with the hours allocated for each topic.
Fig (1): AICITSS - Course on Advanced Information Technology: Syllabus Overview
As you can see the total number of hours is 90.
Let's now go over the attendance requirements and dress code.
Course on Advanced Information Technology: Attendance Requirements and Dress Code
You’ll need to have at least 90% attendance. Otherwise you’ll not be able to sit for the Final Exam. Furthermore, you are to adhere to a dress code when attending classes. You’ll have to be dressed formally. You’ll not be allowed to enter class wearing Jeans and T-shirts. For male students, the advisory dress code is to wear full sleeve shirts and trousers. For female students, appropriate attire would be sarees/salvar kurta /suit. While appearing before the appellate authority, you may also wear a suit and tie.
Course on Advanced Information Technology: Passing Requirements
To pass this course and obtain a certificate, you’ll need to maintain the minimum attendance record. ICAI adds the following note:
“The Final Course students would be tested on Advanced Integrated Course on Information Technology and Soft Skills (AICITSS) through online test paper/ OMR Test Paper and the said test would be conducted by the Examination Department which they would be required to qualify with the requisite grades to be eligible to appear for Final Examination. The said grades would be reflected in the mark sheet of Final Examination.”
Now, let’s go over the management and communications skills course (MCS).
Overview of the Management & Communication Skills Course (MCS)
According to ICAI, the “The Management & Communication Skills Course aims to equip the students to the profession with some essential skills, such as ...
- To sharpen communication and presentation skills
- To develop inter-personal and leadership skills
- To provide an understanding of contemporary business environment and opportunities
- To prepare the student for a career either in employment or in practice, by educating them to be adaptable and accountable
The course consists of classes. 6 hours per day for 15 working days. The fee is Rs. 7000 for the course. This includes course materials and refreshments. You can also choose to enrol for a residential programme if you so wish. The fee is Rs. 20000.
Let’s go over the course syllabus.
Fig 2: AICITSS - MCS: Syllabus Overview
MCS: Attendance & Passing Requirements; Dress Code
To pass the course, you’ll need to attend without any discontinuity. Under exceptional circumstances, you may be allowed a leave of absence for a maximum of two days (or four sessions). Do all assignments, presentations, etc. that may be asked of you. If you satisfy these requirements, you’ll get a certificate of completion.
You’ll be expected to conduct yourself professionally. This means adhering to a dress code. Be dressed formally. An advisory dress code for male students is full sleeved shirts and trousers. For female students, it is sarees/salwar kurta/suit. You may wear a suit and tie when appearing before the appellate authority.
MCS: General Points
There is a penalty clause if you don’t inform your absence after confirmation of allotment of a batch at least 3 days before commencement. The penalty is Rs. 500. No waiver is allowed. The organising centre will collect this in the form of a demand draft.
You’ll be expected to maintain discipline and decorum apart from adhering to the dress code. If you misbehave or cause nuisance in the class, the faculty will have the power to make a note of such behaviour. Disciplinary penalties may include even withholding of the Programme Completion Certificate!
Also, note that cameras and photography are not allowed during the sessions.
Concessions to Differently Abled Students
There are exemptions to differently abled students who are suffering from 50% or above permanent disability.
According to ICAI, disability includes the following:
- Physical disability:
- Locomotor disability (inability to move properly due to your musculoskeletal or nervous system being affected)
- Visual impairment
- Hearing impairment
- Intellectual disability
- Specific learning disabilities
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Mental behaviour
- Disability caused due to:
- Chronic neurological conditions
- Blood disorders
- Multiple disabilities (more than one of the above specified disabilities)
- Any other category as may be notified by the Central Government
If you are such a student, you gain exemptions for both courses of AICITSS. You don’t need to pay any registration fees.
Furthermore, in the case of the Course on Advanced Information Technology, you’ll have the following choices:
- Choose to go through the Course normally
- Do not attend any classes
If you choose option (b), you’ll have to follow these guidelines:
- Inform ICAI by submitting a certificate of suffering from disability. This has to be certified by a physician/ surgeon/ oculist working a Government Hospital. Provide these documents at the time of registration.
- You’ll be provided with a set of course material after registration. You’ll have to self-study this material for a minimum period of 15 days. Following this, send a request for two specially designed test papers from and also inform about your schedule for submission of the papers.
- Submit the answer sheets of the test papers to the concerned office. You’ll get your certificate if you pass the test papers.
In the case of the Management & Communication Skills Course, you’ll need to follow a similar procedure.
You can choose to
- attend all the classes or
- appear in two test papers of 3 hours each after a period of 15 days from the date of registration.
If you choose option (b), the programme organising unit (POU) will contact the Director of the Board of Studies to get the test papers.
Also, keep in mind that if you qualify for such exemption, you’ll have to submit proof. The procedure of this is the same as in the case of the Course on Information Technology.
Optional Course: Four Weeks’ Residential Programme on Professional Skills Development
You can choose to enrol for an optional course. This is of four weeks and is a residential programme based on Professional Skills Development. It’s held at ICAI’s centre of Excellence, Hyderabad.
You can only enrol for this course if:
- you have passed CA Final or CA Intermediate and
- you are pursuing the third year of practical training or have completed it.
If you enrol for this course, you are exempted from taking MCS of AICTITSS.
The fees are Rs. 60,000 per student.
The objective of the course is to “imbibe the professional skills required for effective functioning in business organizations and the profession”.
Let’s now look at the syllabus.
Optional Course: Syllabus
Fig (3): AICITSS - Optional Course:: Syllabus Overview
As you can see, the registration process for AICITSS is quite straightforward. Also, the syllabus is designed in such a way so that you gain the advanced Information Technology skills necessary in the work place today. It also helps to imbibe you with the necessary management and communication skills needed to succeed in the professional business domain. There’s even an optional residential course to add on to your skills! Additionally, ICAI recognises the needs of differently abled students. As such, ICAI allows exemptions for such students as shown above.